Sunday, October 19, 2008

Garrett's and TaNeils Deer Hunt

The night before Mike and Uncle Neil took Garrett out to practice shooting on sticks. We were a little worried that he would get so excited when he saw the deer that "Buck Fever" would set in and he would miss. (Kind of like his mom does). He was shooting pretty good with a dead rest, but no so good on the sticks. I murmmered and hoped that it would not be a waste of time for Uncle Neil. Garrett was disappointed that Grandpa Clayton was not going to be able to go but the morning of the hunt, Grandpa woke Garrett and Mike up and said Neil and TaNeil were ready, they better get going. Off they went and when I hadn't heard from them by 8:00am I thought all the negative things a mother could. I went to the car and Mike had forgotten the camera. Off course, I thought, since he forgot the camera, Garrett will probably shoot one. This was the first year that Garrett and TaNeil had drawn out for a deer tag. They were so excited. At 9:oo am, Grandpa called and said that Garrett had just shot the front shoulder off of a nice 4 pointer and it was running. I said that I would be right there with the camera!! He said not to come yet that TaNeil was shooting at another nice 4 point. Minutes later he called and off we went to see the trophies...with the camera of course. We went to TaNeils deer and it was great. As Neil and Mike were dragging through the brush to the truck, the horn that Neil was pulling on came right off. We were laughing so hard and TaNeil just wanted to know if someone had some super glue to fix it. She was such a good sport and we continued laughing. Then the girls went to Neil and Toddy's to get the rhino so that we could get to Garretts deer. The guys kept looking for it. It had ran right towards Grandpa and then turned and he couldn't see it but knew what direction it had gone. Grandpa, Mike and Garrett had gotten to about 10 ft from it when it jumped up and started to run again. That is when Garrett shot at it a second time. Just as we pulled up in the Rhino, we heard the second shot and off the deer went, with both lungs hanging out the bullet hole, a broken front shoulder, and determined not to die. Neil shot to make sure it would go down and it did. We went to where it was and it was almost identical to TaNeils deer. How fun for these two kids. We took so many dang pictures that the only way you can see how much fun they had is to see most of it yourself. They were both so happy and it seemed like the best day these two kids, their dads, and grandpa could ever have. It was one of those memories that will never be forgotten.... The two big 4 points those great kids shot with their heroes right the side of them. Thanks to Uncle Neil, TaNeil and Grandpa for letting us be with you on such fun times. We appreciate the time and efforts that you give for our family. We love you!!
P.S. Uncle Neil shot a 5 point later that night!! What a hunt!

6 comments:

Ronda said...

Oh my heck, my husband is going to be sooooo jealous. He hasn't see anything all hunting season, and believe me he has been hunting alot! I just got my blog going if you want to check it out. marshalldiary.blogspot.com

C & E said...

Those are good looking deer! Luckily for us my husband hasn't gotten one yet...

Brandee Lloyd said...

I am so jealous. Me and Jeremy both have a tag but of course I haven't been out yet and he hasn't seen much. Where were they hunting at? Anyways that is so exciting for those two youngans. It is times like this that make it worth being a parent! I can't wait to take my kids out to get their first deer.

Jen said...

What a good hunt for them. I miss your guts Miss Cody!! Guess what? I went to a purse party finally. Remember your vintage glass necklace I love of yours? Well I now have one too! I was so happy to see one there.I copied you :)

Jen said...

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU! LET ME KNOW WHEN YOUR PARTY IS :) ANOTHER PURSE PARTY DEC 3 I THINK ..? MY SIS IS HAVING ONE. YOU ARE TOTALLY INVITED :)LOVE YOUR GUTS!! MISS U!

Janet Smith said...

How fun is this to find your blog so I can keep up on you kids, that deer hunt looked so fun!!!
Love ya,
Janet