Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Honoring A Scouting Friend




Last weekend I got an email from one of Mont's Scoutmasters from his Timberline Leadership Scout Camp. It was to tell the boys of a tragedy of losing one of their friends that they had there. I felt so bad and Mont was on a scout trip to Moab so I couldn't tell him about it. I worried the whole weekend about Mont and about this sad event. I couldn't even think about it or talk about it without crying (not to mention the anxiety). His friend Calvin Hansen had been killed in a car accident while traveling out of town with his family. His father was injured badly and the rest of the family was sent to the hospital with injuries. Anyway, last night was his viewing. Mont wanted to go and so he and I went. The wait was long. There was so many people there. The hardest thing for me was watching the pain and sorrow of my 13 year old son and the other kids that were there. I truely hope I never have to have this kind of tragedy in my family. There can't be anything worse than loosing a child. My prayers have been with this family and I don't even know them. The Scoutmaster had put the email out to all the scouts and wanted them to be at the cemetery with their uniforms on, holding flags, and saluting the family as they drove there. This was such a thoughtful thing and the time the Scoutmaster has spent in teaching our boys about love, kindness, charity, and brotherhood is amazing to me. I truly appreciate him. These are a couple of the pictures he sent to me and with respect to this cute family I want to show you what kind of tribute it was to them. Amazing to me!!! It sends cold chills down me and brings tears to my eyes. Look at this wonderful site!!

5 comments:

Ronda said...

That is so sad. I can't imagine having to go through that with one of my children. That gave me the chills too.

The Gammell's said...

that breaks my heart. But your story gave me chills too. what a nice thought of the boys to go stand there with the flags.

Nikki said...

Paige told me about this young man...so sad. What a tribute to him to have those boys with all the flags..so beautiful. Hope Mont is ok and what a great mom you are to take him to say goodbye knowing it would be hard.

Jodi said...

Those pictures are beautiful! I am always touched by handsome boys in uniform - especially holding flags and honoring a fellow scouter! What a neat experience for you to share with your boy!

Chanda said...

What a hard thing! Love you guys!